Apophenia Delay Pedal
[Apophenia: The human tendency to see connections and patterns that are not really there.]
Our flagship experiment. With the ability to go from a tight, slap-back response to seemingly never-ending swirl of repeats, Apophenia possesses analog-like warmth and natural musicality while offering an exceptional amount of control over tonal and delay characteristics.
It’s unique, dual-concentric “TAILS” feature allows you to manipulate the delay behavior in ways you never thought possible. And it’s top-mounted filter switch lets you adjust the sharpness or dullness of the sweet, repeating madness in your mix.
The luminous photons of Apophenia's surrounding Glow Ring will bathe your board in the neon Rorschach glow while you’re immersed in potentially mind-altering sonic experiences.
Get ready to put your ears, your mind, your very soul to the test with the power of Apophenia.
Height (case): 1.75"
Height (case w/ knobs): 2.75"
9V, 125mA, 2.1mm jack, center negative (power supply NOT provided)
Time – Controls delay time, maximum is 1 second, minimum is very short
Tails (Dual Pot) – Sets the amount of feedback in the signal path; making the sound
repeat over and over again. The top knob is active when the pedal is clicked "on." The bottom knob is active when the pedal is clicked "off," giving you the option to let the repeats continue after a stint of playing (almost giving the pedal a mind of its own!)
Tone – Works in conjunction with filter switch to EQ high/low
balance (see FILTER SWITCH description below)
Mix – Full counter-clockwise is pure guitar signal, full clockwise is pure delay signal
Volume – Adjusts the overall loudness level
Filter Switch – Selects filter to apply to the delay signal:
- Center: "Normal" position: The TONE KNOB works like a typical pedal/guitar tone knob. Turn it down to cut the highs out of the delay signal.
- Up: "High-pass" position: Inserts a high-pass filter into the feedback path. It makes the delay signal brighter as it continues to repeat, making the repeats sound very sharp and thin. The TONE knob controls how quickly the signal gets bright. (This effect is very prevalent in Ska and Reggae, but also works well in many different genres.)
- Down: "Low-pass" position: Inserts a low-pass filter into the feedback path, making the delay signal sound more muffled as it continues to repeat. The TONE knob controls how quickly the signal gets muffled. (A great option for when you want a "wall of sound/delay" behind your guitar, but still lets the individual notes come through.)
- Top-mount jacks take up less space on your pedalboard
- Tall, low-effort foot switch allows for smooth operation
- Buffered bypass doesn't load down your signal
- Signature LED "Glow Ring" on/off indicator light
- Our FV-1 based circuit packs tons of digital power in a standard-sized footprint
Notes from the Doctor:
“The dual-pot TAILS function is what makes Apophenia truly special:
It allows the user to set the length of the repeats separately for when the pedal is on AND for when it’s off. This is particularly useful in genres where the ‘ambient/drone’ style is favored. One can set a very long tail with the upper knob to give a ‘wall of sound’ while playing, then set the bottom knob lower to let the drone fall away gracefully when the pedal is clicked off.
Currently, our research shows we are the only producers of a device with this capability in stompbox form.
The FILTER SWITCH is quite unique, too, as it brings the power and controllability of some bigger digital systems into a convenient footprint.
And, of course, the Glow Ring is a special factor as well, helping to illuminate boards on a dark stages (or caves, or dungeons…) and not typically seen coming direct from other pedal manufactures.
From all of us at Rorschach, please enjoy the journey Apophenia will surely take you on!”